Knock Knock. Who’s there? Orange. Orange Who? Orange you glad you are going to learn some amazing facts about the color orange. I never really understood that knock-knock joke, but I know one thing. Orange is cool. Here are 25 reasons why:
1. Orange is the color worn to represent many important issues including animal cruelty and self-harm. Support important conditions, wear orange.
2. The Golden Gate Bridge is orange! It is actually a shade called International Orange, used by space agencies to make things stand out really strongly in space.
3. Some Buddhists wear orange robes. While you might think it is because of its calming nature or beauty, it is actually because it is a very common color available to dye robes with.
4. Astronauts wear orange space suits inside a shuttle but must change to white for outside a shuttle.
5. Vincent Van Gough was a big fan of orange. Saying there is no blue without yellow and orange.
6. Stradivari has the most famous violins. Often selling for over $1 million at auctions. Many believe they have an incredible sound partly because of the orange varnish inside.
7. Orange is the color of the Netherlands. The Dutch royal family’s color is orange and it is the national team’s jersey as well.
8. The 25th day of every month is called Orange day. A day to focus on solving the issues of violence towards women.
9. Orange is easier to find in long grass than blue. That is why Flymo made their lawnmowers orange after some very obvious and unnecessary consumer research.
10. Carrots are not originally orange, the Dutch are to blame. They are most commonly purple but the dutch cross-bred them with a white/yellow vegetable to create the orange color we know today.
11. Canary birds aren’t naturally orange either. Again cross-breeding is the cause. This time we can’t blame the Dutch.
12. The fruit called an orange turns orange as the weather cools, in hotter regions, it remains green.
13. The Dutch soccer team is often called ‘Oranje’ for obvious reasons.
14. In Vietnam and Thailand oranges are not orange but bright green. That must be pretty confusing if they still call them oranges? Luckily they are still orange on the inside, that might help.
15. The Dutch national team is not the only team to embrace orange. Many sports teams enjoy orange branding, for example, the San Francisco Giants.
16. Frank Sinatra loved orange. He once called it the happiest color. I think Frank may have been drinking.
17. The color of the US arm corps outfit is ..you guessed it..orange.
18. Orange vehicles are considered fun-loving and trendy. Frank Sinatra may or may not be behind this belief.
19. Orange is a very famous European telecommunications giant. Their slogan was “the future is bright, the future is orange”
20. Orange is associated with saints, it represents courage in the bible.
21. During Queen Elizabeth’s era, only those born to nobility could wear orange.
22. Orange represents fire in the ancient study of feng shui.
23. In early Christianity, orange was a symbol of wisdom.
24. The blood used on the set of Sweeny Todd had to be orange to render properly on the film.
25. Orange comes from the word naranga in Sanskrit and narang in Persian.
So there you have it! 25 amazing facts about orange. If you decide to name your child orange after reading this blog please let us know in the comments.